Maintaining Vaginal Health During Perimenopause
Here is what you could consider doing:
Maintaining vaginal health during perimenopause is crucial for overall well-being. By following a few simple practices, you can reduce the risk of vaginal infections and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Here are some essential tips for perimenopausal women:
- Schedule regular check-ups: Regular gynecological check-ups can help detect and address any issues early on. Be open and honest with your doctor about your relationships, symptoms, and concerns to receive the best possible care.
- Educate yourself: Stay informed about perimenopause and vaginal health by researching and asking your doctor any questions you may have. Avoid making assumptions about your health and seek professional advice.
- Avoid douching: Douching can wash away the beneficial lactobacilli bacteria in your vagina, making you more susceptible to infections. Instead, gently wash your vulva externally to maintain the protective vaginal secretions.
- Wash front to back: When washing your vulva, always wash from front to back to prevent transferring undesirable particles from the anus.
- Skip the soap: Using alkaline soap can alter the natural acidic pH of your vagina, increasing the risk of infections. Opt for gentle, pH-balanced cleansers designed for intimate areas.
- Pat dry with a soft cloth: After washing your vulva, gently pat dry with a soft cloth to prevent moisture build-up, which can lead to fungal infections.
- Don't over-wipe: Excessive wiping can remove the natural lubrication of the vagina, leading to dryness and infections. Be gentle and avoid wiping too often.
- Choose cotton underwear: Opt for breathable cotton underwear and change it frequently in case of discharge, sweating, or overflow. Keeping your genital area dry helps prevent infections.
- Use lubricants during intercourse: If you experience vaginal dryness during perimenopause, consider using water-based lubricants to make intercourse more comfortable and prevent damage to the vaginal lining.
- Boost your libido: Perimenopause may lead to a loss of libido. Engage in intimate activities with your partner and explore new ways to rekindle your passion.
Embracing the changes that come with perimenopause doesn't have to define your lifestyle or limit your happiness. By taking charge of your vaginal health, you can continue to live a vibrant and fulfilling life during this transitional period
Discover essential tips and best practices to maintain vaginal health during perimenopause, reduce the risk of infections, and enjoy a healthy, fulfilling life.